Fort Rinella was built in 1878 by the British, at the time it was the most technologically advanced war machine, it was powered by coal-fired steam driven hydraulics. This Fort, which was one of four 100-ton gun batteries, built to protect harbours in Malta & Gibraltar. At the time the Mediterranean was used by Britain as a short route to India, there was also fear that the naval power of Italy migh tip the balance of power in the region, as it was fast growing. Today Fort Rinella is managed by Fondazzjoni Wirt Artna - the Malta Heritage Trust.

www.fortrinella.com